Nine Dragons Restaurant in the China Pavilion at Epcot is a longtime favorite – we love the friendly service, the pretty setting and a taste of the chef’s signature dish: peppery shrimp and lightly spiced spinach noodles.
Chef Sun Shusen has been in the kitchen at Nine Dragons for five years, where his biggest claim to fame is his talent for making noodles – a skill he learned back home in Shanxi province in China, a locale famous for a variety of noodles served in soup.
His specialties are the “flying knife cut noodles” and the “one-strand noodle,” a continuous noodle strand 10 feet long made from a single piece of flour dough. He’s been recognized by his hometown province for his outstanding contribution to spreading the culinary significance of Shanxi noodle culture with his work at Nine Dragons.
If you prefer, try the chef’s noodle sampler, where you mix and match your own noodles with fresh veggie and two classic Zha Jiang sauces: sweet-and-savory minced pork and spicy diced chicken. (A cold Tsingtao beer or crisp Sauvignon Blanc pairs nicely.)
Diao Yu Tai Cucumber Salad
2 Kirby cucumbers, about 4 to 5 inches long
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 dried red Sichuan peppers
1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of sugar
- Thoroughly wash unpeeled cucumbers and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toss cucumbers with salt in a colander. Place colander over bowl and let stand 20 minutes. Drain cucumbers and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in wok over medium-low heat. Add peppers and stir fry until pepper darkens to deeper red, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar; bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour mixture over drained cucumbers in a medium glass bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Check out these posts for more recipes from around Disney Parks:
- A Napa Rose Favorite with Disneyland Resort Chef Andrew Sutton
- Cool New Cocktails at Napa Rose at Disney’s Grand Californian Resort & Spa
- Did You Know There’s A ‘National French Bread Day’?
Favorite Salad from Nine Dragons Restaurant in China Pavilion at Epcot by Pam Brandon: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog