The Warm Apple Butter Cake isn’t always on the menu at Steakhouse 55, but it’s an old-fashioned sweet ending that’s perfect in the Old Hollywood ambiance of the restaurant, and the perfect sort of dessert after a satisfying steak dinner (though the King salmon is top-notch too).
You don’t have to share – everyone gets their own buttery cake topped with tart, caramelized Granny Smith apples and a drizzle of caramel glaze. And we think vanilla ice cream is non-negotiable.
Warm Apple Butter Cake
Makes 15 individual cakes
- 2 whole Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Jack Daniels Caramel Glaze
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Jack Daniels bourbon
- 1 cups heavy cream
Apple Butter Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Dried apple slices, for garnish (optional)
For caramelized apples:
- Cut apples into thin slices.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and sugar.
- Cook apples until golden and softened. Set aside to cool.
For Jack Daniels caramel glaze:
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir continuously until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer over medium heat without stirring or touching pan, until mixture is thick and dark amber in color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully whisk in bourbon and heavy cream. Mixture will bubble vigorously and release very hot steam.
- Pour caramel into a bowl to cool; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 15 (3/4-cup-capacity) ramekins; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and egg yolks, and melted butter in a separate large bowl, until well combined.
- Combine buttermilk and almond extract in a small bowl; set aside.
- Fold a third of flour mixture into egg mixture. Stir in half of buttermilk mixture. Fold in another third of flour mixture, then add remaining buttermilk mixture. Fold in remaining flour mixture.
- Ladle 1/2 cup cake batter into prepared ramekins. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cakes comes out clean
- While cakes are warm, carefully remove from ramekins onto a serving plate.
- Divide caramelized apples among tops of cakes. Spoon Jack Daniels Glaze over top of apples and cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and garnish with dried apple slices, if desired.