Flan is one of the more traditional desserts for Hispanic families, and to celebrate the recent National Flan Day, we reached out to our own Chef Yoly Colón to share her favorite recipe with us.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Gently swirl pan to combine, do not stir with a spoon or whisk.
2. Cook without stirring over medium-high heat for 6 to 10 minutes, or until syrup turns deep amber.
3. Quickly pour caramel into an 8-inch round metal or glass cake pan, tilting to evenly coat bottom. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Combine sweetened condensed milk, milk, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Whisk for 2 minutes.
3. Grease sides of pan with caramel with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Carefully pour in milk and egg mixture and place cake pan in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Add enough hot water to come one-third up sides of baking dish.
5. Bake 1 hour or until set. Remove from oven and carefully remove flan from water bath. Cool for 1 hour on wire rack, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. To unmold, run a knife around the edge and invert onto serving plate.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Qué rico!