We eat first with our eyes, and the new Epcot International Festival of the Arts takes that idea to new heights in Food Studios along World Showcase Promenade, where Epcot chefs are having fun with food every weekend (Friday through Monday) through Feb. 20.
As you stroll around the lagoon, eight Food Studios with dozens of dishes and beverages showcase an artful approach to eating – from seared red snapper with braised ratatouille and lemon-thyme beurre blanc at “Cuisine Classique” to the playful Pop’t Art, a modern-designed sugar cookie with chocolate hazelnut filling at “Pop Eats.”
These cookies are almost so pretty that you don’t want to eat them – but the sweet sugar glaze with the chocolate hazelnut is an irresistible combination.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food coloring
FOR SUGAR COOKIE:
- Cream sugar and butter in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with
a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add egg white and beat for 1 minute.
- Slowly add sifted flour and salt and beat at medium speed until a soft
- Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone
- Roll dough into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into six, 3×5-inch rectangles.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread on each cookie,
leaving a border of about 1/8 inch around the edges of each cookie.
- Set aside.
- Whisk powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of the milk, and the vanilla
extract in a pie plate until smooth. Add additional milk if the glaze is
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of glaze in a small bowl.
- Dip each cookie, chocolate-hazelnut side down, in the glaze to cover
- Set on a wire rack to dry.
- Mix remaining glaze with desired color or colors of food coloring. Use a
fork to drizzle colored glaze on top of the cookies.