The Berry Basket is one of two new Outdoor Kitchen for the 2017 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, kicking off March 1 and running through May 29 – joining 13 returning Outdoor Kitchens around World Showcase Promenade.
We’re sharing this delectable recipe for the Warm Wild Berry Buckle that’s one of three new tastes at The Berry Basket (lamb chops and a fabulous salad with strawberries and blue cheese are the other two).
The Disney chefs top the buckle with a pepper berry gelato, but a scoop of your favorite strawberry ice cream works just fine. And any combination of berries works too.
Access to the festival, including all gardening programs, exhibits, concerts and special appearances, is included in regular Epcot admission. For more information, call 407/W-DISNEY (934-7639) or visit www.epcotinspring.com.
Warm Wild Berry Buckle
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup frozen blackberries, thawed
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2cup frozen blueberries, thawed
2 cup quartered fresh strawberries, divided
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry ice cream
FOR BERRY COMPOTE:
- Combine lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add thawed blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and 1 cup of the fresh strawberries. Puree using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries and remaining 1 cup of strawberries.
- Set aside.
FOR OATMEAL STREUSEL:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix all-purpose flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and oatmeal in a medium bowl. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and mix until wet.
- Sprinkle on prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes and crumble.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray eight 8-ounce ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure to scrape the sides of the mixer.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture, and half of the milk, mixing well. Add remaining flour and milk. Mix in vanilla.
- Place 1/3 cup of cake batter in the bottom of each prepared ramekin. Top with 1/3 cup of berry compote.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cake is set.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Turn warm berry buckles onto a plate. Top with oatmeal streusel and strawberry ice cream.