Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory recently reopened after being reimagined. Though several new tastes of New Orleans were added, the famous beignets, which are made in-house daily, are still the most popular item on the menu! If you can’t visit Disney’s Port Orleans – French Quarter to celebrate Mardi Gras with King Cake, Po’ Boys and Jambalaya, get a taste of the “Big Easy” with a piping hot batch of delicious beignets with the recipe below.
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
Yields 2 dozen small beignets
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105º)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets into 2 x 3-inch pieces. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour enough oil into a deep-sided pot until it reaches 2 inches up sides; heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Lightly press beignets to flatten slightly.
- Add a few beignets to oil; fry until golden brown on both sides, turning
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Dust with a generous amount of confectioners’ sugar before serving.