So many choices, but there’s still time to try this delectable chocolate cake and other small bites at 13 Outdoor Kitchens at the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, which runs through May 30 at Walt Disney World Resort.
You’ll find this cake at The Smokehouse: Barbecue & Brews as you stroll around World Showcase Lagoon and enjoy the gorgeous garden exhibits. Bonus! Every Friday through Sunday, just across the promenade at America Gardens Theatre, you can nosh while listening to pop tunes of top bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears featuring Bo Bice (April 15-17), Darlene Love (May 13-15) and others.
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake with Caramel Sauce and Spiced Pecans
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place oil, egg, sour cream and buttermilk in bowl of standing mixer equipped with whip attachment.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, flour and baking soda.
- Start mixing on lowest speed for about 30 seconds, then to second speed for another 30 seconds, and finally to third speed, mixing for about 3 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup of batter in greased half-cup ramekin. Place ramekin on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until tops of cakes have cracked. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in stainless steel saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until mixture turns amber color, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in condensed milk.
- Add whiskey and mix until smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve, being careful not to burn sauce. Can also be prepared 1-2 days in advance and refrigerated. To serve, warm over low heat, adding splash of water to return to sauce consistency.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups pecans, broken into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Add brown sugar and cayenne pepper, stirring well.
- Once brown sugar thickens, add pecans and stir.
- Remove from heat and spread pecans on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Set aside until ready to serve. Spiced pecans can also be stored in airtight container for 3-4 days before serving.
- Unmold cakes from ramekins and place on dessert plates.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over and around each cake. Top with spiced nuts.